Shipman Organ Company
Unfortunately, this is just about all the information that’s survived the
passing of time on the Shipman Organ Co.
The company was located at South Hamilton and East Green Streets, High Point,
NC. William Gatewood Shipman and H.C. Barckhoff, owners. The company was founded in 1905. J.K. Link, Shipman's
brother-in-law, was President from 1905 until his death in 1908.
At that time E.A. Snow became President. The factory capacity was 700 organs per month in 1915.
They operated as the High Point Piano & Organ Co. from 1905 until a fire in 1911 destroyed the factory. A
new 50,000 square foot factory was built on the same site and the business continued as the Shipman Organ
Made organs under this name through 1924, when it was succeeded by the Piedmont Mfg. Co. The
Gatewood Organ Co. was another name used by Shipman.
Just a side note – The Shipman Organ Co. was the only pump organ company located in the south or
below the old Mason Dixon line that was ever successful. Most of the South’s manufacturing capability was
destroyed as a result of the Civil War.
It’s interesting to point out that they somehow managed to get into the pump organ business just
when 75% of this county’s 653 pump organ companies had already gone out of business.
For more information click on the "home" tab above