Chicago Cottage Organ Company
This is just about all the information that’s survived the passing of time on
the Chicago Cottage Organ Co..
Chicago Cottage started in the fall of 1879 as the Wolfinger Organ Co. by F.R. Wolfinger,
president, John A. Comstock, secretary, and Herman D. Cable, treasurer.
The company was originally located in a two-story building at Randolph & Ann Streets, Chicago.
About 1885 Comstock sold his interest to E.E. Wise and George W. Tewksbury, both formerly connected
with the Western Cottage Organ Co., and the name changed to Chicago Cottage Organ Co.
W.N. Van Matre (qv) also came in as Sales Manager and a stockholder in 1885, remaining until 1895.
A few years later Wolfinger sold his interest to G.K. Barnes. A large building was acquired for the factory at
22nd and Paulina Streets. E.E. Wise sold his interest to Cable and Tewksbury, Cable becoming president.
Barnes sold his interest in 1889, and Fayette S. and H.M. Cable came into the business, which after
H.D. Cable's death in 1899 became The Cable Co. with F.S. Cable as president. A second factory was built in St.
Charles, IL. in 1899, and an office building at 215-221 Wabash Ave., bringing the capacity to 16,000 pianos and
18,000 organs per year.
Chicago Cottage made stencil organs for many music dealers, such as Capital City Organ Co.,
Lansing, MI; Bell, Saginaw, MI; Grinnel Brothers, Detroit, MI and Temple Organ, St. Louis, MO.. F.S. Cable left
the company about 1904 and bought the Lakeside Organ Co., changing its name again to the Fayette S. Cable Piano
Co., which later became the Cable-Nelson Co. Hobart M. Cable left The Cable Co. and bought the Burdett Organ
Co., changing its name to The Hobart M. Cable Co.
Serial numbers: 1892 - 43315, 1894 - 118189, 1907 - 250783, 1910 - 260834.
For more information click on the "home" tab above